Mold and mildew removal can become expensive, and many of the cleaners in your supermarket simply don’t work as promised, or release toxic fumes. If you notice mildew or mold in your home, you may want to try some of these tried and trusted home remedies.

One of the best ways to remove mold and mildew is by scrubbing the affected area with a small amount of baking soda mixed with warm water. If you don’t have baking soda in your kitchen, you probably have vinegar and undiluted white vinegar is also effective at killing the bacteria. Leave the vinegar on the area for at least an hour before wiping it off. Hydrogen peroxide sprayed on mold or mildew will also kill the spores, and using an alcohol spray on the affected area is another effective solution.

However, there are various other products that you may have in your home that are effective when it comes to mold and mildew removal. Grapefruit extract is a surprisingly effective way to remove mildew, as is tea tree oil, which also helps to prevent the mold and mildew from developing again. Anti-fungal properties can also be found in varnish, although you should wear a mask when applying this, and chlorine bleach are also worth using when it comes to removing mildew. If you simply don’t have anything else at hand, warm soapy water can be used, although you may have to repeat the process several times.

Keeping the mold and mildew out of your home, to begin with, will eliminate the often tedious task of trying to get rid of it. Proper ventilation and access to sunlight in your home will reduce the chances of mold forming while regulating the moisture levels in your home and installing dehumidifiers in the central air conditioning unit can help.

Pink mold like all other molds can have harmful effects if not properly removed. The mold mostly grows in the damp and wet areas such as showers, tile grouts, bathtubs, and wash basins. The bathroom offers a favorable environment for pink mold growth as it offers soap and shampoo residues that act as food for the mold. Depending on the growth conditions, the mold may look fuzzy and it may also be accompanied by other molds such as white or gray mold. The mold colony can appear in various shapes depending on the level of infestation. In the bathroom, the infestation usually starts as tiny specks and develop into disgusting growth if neglected.

If not removed, the pink mold can pose health risks that range from allergic reactions such as sneezing, coughing, and rash, to respiratory tract infection, pneumonia and bronchitis, poisoning, urinary tract infection, bladder ailment and infection as well as gastrointestinal ailments such as nausea, stomachache, and diarrhea. Anyone can be affected by the pink mold but people with a compromised immune system as well as elderly, children and babies are at a higher risk. Although the pink mold is not as dangerous as black mold, it is important to clean up the problem the moment you spot it to avoid the possible health complications.

The cleanup process for pink mold is similar to the cleanup process for other molds. You must use the right protective gear before starting the cleanup process to ensure the mold does not touch your skin. You should also use the right equipment to ensure the mold is completely removed as any spores left behind will continue to grow. Although you can clean up small infestations yourself, you should hire an expert to do the cleanup if you suffer various health complications such as asthma. You should also hire an expert cleaner if the mold covers a very large area, if the mold has affected your heating and ventilation ducts and if the problem is caused by contaminated water or sewage.


If you encounter pink mold in your bathroom, you should hire an experienced cleaner who understands how to clean it up on different surfaces. The cleaner will also give you tips to help prevent the mold from reappearing depending on your bathroom environment.